Thursday, February 10, 2011

Conversation With Sister

A few weeks ago my sister and I had a long two hour phone conversation about our lives and college. It was great to talk to her; I hadn't heard from her in about two weeks, which is a long time for us. My sister has always been a great role model and I envy her confidence and maturity.
“Hey!” I said with enthusiasm.
“He bean what's up!” My sister Katharine said.
“Nothing, I just have been really stressed out and busy lately...you?” I answered.
“Ya same. I think I just failed my final and now I have to do a project with my friends later that I am REALLY not in the mood to do...” She said, trailing off into her own thoughts.
“Oh, that sucks. Well school is just the same old. Nothing interesting or fun I just want to go to college already,” I said.
Then my sister began with what I thought would be meaningless gossip…“You will have SO much fun Christina, like I absolutely love it. You just have to make sure you don't get involved in the wrong crowd. Of course you want to have fun and enjoy life, but it's about much more than that. As a freshman I didn't really know what to expect; I was clueless and vulnerable. Despite this, as I've being growing up, I've been growing in my faith as well. I know it sounds stupid and you may think I'm a jesus-freak, but going on mission trips and being involved with the church has really brought me closer to God and helped me become a better person,” Kath said in a very sympathetic and confident way.
This really made me think. My sister used to be this very intense and her-way-or-the-highway type of person. For her to give me advice like this was a big step and it gave me a lot to re-evaluate in my life.
“No I'm not judging at all. I think that's really important and I'm happy that you are doing that. I go to church every Monday and Wednesday, but I don't really do anything besides that. I think I should start becoming more engaged,” I said, completely meaning every word. I knew that she was trying to be there for me, and for the first time I felt like she really cared.
“Ya it really helps, especially when you're struggling with something. But back to college, I know you'll be happy wherever you end up, but remember to weigh the pros and cons and visit all of the schools you get into,” she said.
I knew she was right. I needed to find a school that I could picture myself attending. “I will don't worry! I'm so glad I have you to talk with because mom always stresses me out and annoys me about it all the time,” I said.
“Ya mom can be really annoying...just base it off of where you think you belong and everything will fall into place,” she said, making me feel excited for the experience of college.
“Yes you're right! Thanks for all of the great advice,” I said. I really meant it, she was very helpful and didn’t stress me out at all.
“No problem, I'm always here for you!” She said lovingly.
“Love you! I have to go eat dinner now, so I'll call you tomorrow!” I stated.
“K love you too! Bye,” she said.
“Bye!” I concluded. I’m so happy and thankful for a sister like Katharine; I am proud of all my sisters and happy that we are so close and united.

No comments: