Thursday, February 24, 2011

Character Sketch

Sketch I
I walk up to the back of the classroom steady and certain. I am ready to present. My nerves rush away and I have excitement flowing through my bones. I quickly form myself into a comfortable position-leaning against the wall with my legs crossed and hands behind my back. I look up for reassurance from the crowd; bewildering at the smiling faces gleaming against the bright, flourescent light. My presentation is quick, but heartfelt. I introduce a small necklace laced with pearls that was given to me from my grandma on a very special occassion. I stretch my hands out to show the audience my meaningful gift and twirl it slightly around my fingers before returning to my desk.

Explaination I
Descriptive language-flowing through my bones, smiling faces, twirl it slightly around my fingers
action-leaning against the wall, legs crossed, hands behind my back, stretch my hands out
verbs-"leaning," "gleaming," "flowing"

Sketch II
Bonet walked up to the front of the room, quickly halted, and stood in a comfortable spot. She seemed a little nervous, admitting she was shakey and scared to present her personal life in front of the class. You could see the glimpse of sadness spread across her face as she began her troubling story about being diagnosed with Tuberculosis and how she overcame the disease, showing strength in her words. This presented a reflective feeling to her talk, symbolizing her life of sickness and her childhood as a whole. Bonet was fearful of her classmates' thoughts, but she was calm and collected, giving everyone a change to process the information. She then concluded her speech and left the audience in a curious stare.

Explaination II
sense words-nervous, shakey, scared, fearful, calm, collected
imagery-quickly halted, showing strength, symboling her life of sickness, curious stare

Sketch III
Devin walked up to the front of the classroom in a confident demeanor. He slowly swayed from side to side, using his hands as an easy tool to talk. He seemed dazed; wandering off into his own thoughts about the sport of football, maybe thinking of the great memories locked in his mind. He picked up the special football, being sure to tell the class that this had, in fact, been his first time touching it, showing his sense of respect and possessiveness to the object. As his speech came to an end, he left the class wide-eyed and wondering, as if the only thing to do was to stare and "clap" our hands gently.

Explaination II
Alliteration- wide-eyed and wondering
imagery- confident demeanor, slowly swayed, used his hands to talk, touched the football
symbolism-football represented how important it is in his life

No comments: