Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A soundtrack to my life

Brown Eyed Girl- Van Morrison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG8Ect3Xn7w&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

Meaningful Lyrics:
Laughin' and a-runnin', hey hey
Skippin' and a-jumpin'
In the misty mornin' fog
With our, our hearts a-thumpin'

And you, my brown eyed girl
You my brown eyed girl

Association 1: This was my dad's favorite song and these 60's songs quickly became known as "Rob's Tunes," which consisted of many songs by Van Morrison as well as The McCoys, Blues Traveler, Brooks and Dunn, etc. He loved to listen to these songs and soon enough my sisters and I started to love them too. We would listen to them all the time and my dad would always be jamming out to them. He loved to dance and so did my mom so they would always be dancing to these songs and it just got me really interested in music as a whole.

Association 2: It is a tradition in our family to listen to 106.7 wjjy on the way to our cabin in Crosslake and these kinds of songs would always be playing. "Rob's Tunes" is a huge hit to all of our family and friends and at our cabin we always have them playing on our surround sound. This just reminds me of how important it is to incorporate music into one's life.

Association 3: My dad would also sing these songs all the time. He would (attempt to) sing these songs to my sisters and I, but replace the "brown eyed girl" with "blue eyed girl" because we all have blue eyes. This made us feel really special and it is just a great memory to have of my dad and every time I listen to the song I always say "blue eyed girl" instead of "browned eyed girl" and my dad would also say this to my mom, so it is just a significant and memorable moment that I will always remember.

No comments: